Taking A Stand

During our first unit in our new California Treasures reading series, the students were reading all about people who took a stand in some way or another.  To go along with this theme (I am HUGE on thematic teaching, so I try to find connections in all areas of my curriculum when working on projects), I had the students write "I AM" poems in the theme of someone who took a stand.

The students first brainstormed (using a Circle Map) all aspects of life that they were passionate about standing up for.  This could be speaking out against an injustice, fighting bullying, stopping animal cruelty, or even putting an end to the horrible cafeteria food (their words, not mine ;) )  They then thought of all the ways they would stand up against that injustice.

Once their ideas were brainstormed, the students wrote their poems from the perspective of someone taking a stand against the injustice.  The ideas they came up with were fantastic!
teachinginroom6.blogspot.com    Teaching in Room 6  teachinginroom6Taking a Stand


5th Grade





After the poems were done, the students then drew pictures of themselves "protesting" as the character taking a stand they wrote about in their poems.  These protestors were wearing t-shirts that showed their character's belief in some way.








All in all, this project really made the students think.  They had to think of some worldly injustices they wanted to stop.  They had to think in the perspective of a protestor.  They had to think of how that protestor would graphically be represented.  It was so much thinking, I think I saw steam coming out of the students' ears ;)

Here are some shots of the final product:
language arts lessons

5th grade

7 comments

  1. You've been awarded the Liebster Award! See the link to grab the image: http://classroommagic.blogspot.com/2011/12/merry-christmas-to-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Selina! I am honored :) Off to post this on my blog right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Stephanie:
    We did a slide show with pictures of Rosa Parks and played "Stand Up" by Sugarland. We ended up using it as our promotion song. Very powerful... we talked about what we stand for (and what we would stand up against)
    That lesson made for some GREAT memories... LOVED IT.

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stephanie,
    Would you be willing to share the lesson plan you used for the I am poems? I absolutely LOVE the idea!!
    I am teaching Grade 5/6 this year and we are really focusing on Global Citizenship and Human Rights. This would be perfect to go along with the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE>>>we have to teach persuasive in the third trimester..was thinking..OK how od I get that in while still really digging into poetry in April...answer ABOVE!!! whoo-hoo. I am not a blogger -although someday when I am all grown up I hope to be ;)- but you have earned my own YOU ARE AMAZING award...not glamour or cute button just a huge thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love love love this idea. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I love to hear what you think about what is posted :)